Thursday 14 May 2015

The Scent of Sweet Jasmines.

Come Summer  and my jasmine plants are in full bloom with its sweet fragrance perfuming the air at night.I have many kinds of jasmines growing on my terrace in pots my favourite  being the Jasmine Sambac(Madan Mogra).The blooms on this plant are almost double in size the buds are long and pointed and the scent is just wonderful. The plants are propagated by cuttings mines i got from the nursery .Once in a month i boil a heaped teaspoon of black tea let it cool down and then pour this tea in the jasmine plants.









Off recently i noticed the leaves of my jasmine sambac plant were turning yellow and curly just what i suspected aphid attack i happened to look on the underside of a leaf and they they were brown woody looking aphids in clusters,and guess what i had to seclude my jasmine plant from the rest of the plants cut off the entire plant making sure none of these pests were left behind,after stripping off all the leaves of my beauty i gave her a good wash and sprayed some turmeric and neem oil mix on it.And hoped and prayed these damned aphids do not come back with the new growth and luckily they didn't.This is what she looks like now.







I have a crepe jasmine plant which has tiny double petaled flowers and the  scent is just like that of a gardenia but im not sure a bout its exact botanical name.Here is a picture of the plant in full bloom.











i will post some more pictures of other jasmines as well.So whats your favourite jasmine variety to grow?




No comments:

Post a Comment